Skip to main content

All-grain Approaches

So, after a long process, lots of delays, many hours of research, much money spent, and tons of craigslist searches, our first all-grain batch is coming up next weekend.  The actual switch from extract to all-grain isn't really that difficult - if you have the Ben Franklins to drop on the new equipment.  For us, gathering all of our equipment without dropping hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars is what has taken so long.  And we're still not there.

Ours won't be so fancy - at first.
Our ideal setup is a three keg system (known as a half barrel system, see to the left).  Many homebrewers use old kegs as boil kettles and mash tuns, and for good reason.  First, they are all stainless steel, and thus durable.  Second, they are large, holding fifteen gallons.  They can be used for double (10 gallon) batches.  Third, they look bad ass.

It is very easy to attain one of these kegs.  The hard part is doing so legally.  See, most people just go to their local beer distributor, pay for a keg of beer plus the $30 deposit, and then keep said keg when the beer is gone.  How easy is that?  The problem is, kegs cost more than a $30 deposit.  And by keeping and cutting a keg which you don't own... well, at the very least, that is gray area.  So, we have been working hard at finding kegs we can attain legally.  So far, we have one fully ready to go.

Igloo Mash Tun
That will be our boil kettle for our brew days.  A nice, big kettle.

For a mash tun, we have a second keg which is in the process of being converted (top cut off, ball valve/thermometer installed, false bottom put in).  The question is will it be finished?  If it is, we're in the clear for a 10 gallon batch.  If not, on to plan B.

In plan B we would use  a converted Igloo cooler for a mash tun, similar to the picture but without all the extras.  We picked up the cooler and false bottom for cheap from a local brewer and homebrew club member.  If we don't need it, no big financial loss.  (Anyone looking for an Igloo Cooler Mash Tun?)

Our hot liquor tank will just be one of our old kettles, probably mine since it has a valve installed.  No keg dedicated for that yet.  Waiting and searching.

Our brew for the day will be an Amber ale.  We chose this because 1) it is simple to brew, not requiring a lot of mash steps and 2) because wins the award for the recipe which we have screwed up most royally in our brewing era.  We are hoping for a better result this time around.  

Our official award for screwing up our Amber Ale.
I am glad this day is nearly here.  Our first all-grain batch seemed so close when I started this blog.  I've had to fill in posts which should have been about all-grain brewing with some other stuff.  Maybe now this blog will settle into what I initially envisioned.  But on the other hand, this delay in brewing has helped me be a little more creative in posts.  I hope to keep some of that variety as we move forward.  Posts like, "Here's my recipe," "here are pictures of me brewing" can only take me so far...

That being said, I will post the recipe and pictures in a future post.  Here's hoping for a nice, smooth brew day. Wish me luck.

Cheers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Research: Part 3

The final post I want to make in the research category is one about the traditional, brick & mortar, local homebrew store.  If you are lucky enough to have a store nearby, this is a great place to visit.  (You can find a nearby store by visiting the Homebrewers Association directory .) In this modern world, full of instant information, huge selection, and Amazon.com pricing, why visit an actual store ?  Several reasons. First, the people.  These people are passionate about brewing and passionate about helping you brew.  They are a great resource for practical questions on ingredients and, in this specific case, equipment.  They probably have used most of what is in their store and can speak to it first hand.  You get much better service than online retailers (which usually provide no customer service  unless something doesn't work the way it should) because there are actual people with whom to talk and ask questions. Hops/Yeast Fridge When Eric and I first made our fo

Fall Beers

So, what is up with all the fall/autumn/pumpkin/fest beers being out already?  It's the middle of August.  It is hot still.  I, personally, don't really want to see those in the shelf til after Labor Day.  Autumn doesn't even start until September 21.  Maybe you've had similar thoughts. I liken it to being able to buy a 2013 car now.  It is like we are living in the future!  But facetiousness aside, if you are releasing a pumpkin beer or a harvest ale on August 1, that means you were brewing it in June.  Where do you buy pumpkin in June?  Surely you aren't getting the freshest pumpkins around...  Expired canned pumpkin anyone?  If you are releasing a fest beer, at least there aren't any special, seasonal ingredients.  But it takes longer to make.  When were you brewing that one?  May?  April?  Earlier? I understand trying to get your product out first so people see it, remember it, and buy it.  But give us a little bit of a break and at least wait until

Equipment Progression

I am an all-grain, fermentation-controlled, kegging homebrewer (with other bells and whistles thrown in there, too).  But I didn't start out that way.  I was thinking about my progression as a homebrewer and wondering if I would change anything about my journey (hindsight is 20/20).  So, I made a list of my progression.  The list below doesn't contain every gadget or step, and some steps include multiple purchases/equipment, but it hits key milestones.  Here is a brief overview of how I have progressed so far as a homebrewer: Extract on the stove top Wort chiller Turkey fryer/Burner for outdoor use Kegerator Pump Fermentation control Yeast starters All-grain (all the equipment at once) Plate Chiller Oxygenation system So, what would I change?  How would I choose to progress now that I am more advanced?  Or, I guess a pertinent question also is, where did I get the most bang for my buck?  What was most worth the money?  Below is my list answering those questions.