Skip to main content

Pale Ale Review & Critique

Sorry for the lack of posting lately.  With vacation and family visiting, writing wasn't one of my top priorities. Summer will do that to you.  But for now, I am back and I'm talkin' pale ale.  You can check out the recipe and some notes here Also, I do occasionally post some stuff over at Facebook if you want to "Like" that page.  I'll also update you when I have a new post up here. (Sorry for the shameless plug.)

So, the first brew on the new equipment went well.  It wasn't perfect, but it was pretty good, all things considering.  I think I did some miscalculations with my mash water amount (too little water), but the mash still went ok.  I was pleased with how the day overall went.  Fermentation was ok, too, except I couldn't get the stinkin' temperature controller probe to stick to the carboy.  I had to submerge it in the blow-off hose bucket.  So, the temperatures were a little less controlled than I wanted.

Currently, the pale ale is fermented, kegged, carbonated, and drinkable.  My initial thoughts on this beer weren't the best.  It was cloudy.  It had a strong lemon and citrus flavor.  There was a subtle, sharp aftertaste (aren't "subtle" and "sharp" kind of opposite?  Regardless, the beer did have a subtle, sharp flavor to it!).   The aftertaste is almost like metal.  This beer is pretty good homebrew, very good for a first brew on a system, but still mediocre in the grand scheme of things.  I have questioned it.  Why is the beer like this?  Why are the yeast not falling out of suspension yet?  Is that why the beer is cloudy?  Or is that unconverted starches (highly possible, all things considered)?  Where is that lemon coming from?  The Cascade hops?  Or was the fermentation temperature too high?  Is "lemon" a Wyeast 1056 ester or by-product?  And the metal taste, is that because there is still a lot of yeast in the beer?  Or is it the keg?  Is one of the kettles giving off a metallic taste?  Or am I imagining the whole thing?

Lots of questions.

But, regardless, I took a liter of the pale ale to the Berks County Homebrew Club meeting this past Tuesday night.  And I heard very good things about this beer.  I heard that it was "spot on."  The bartender named it his favorite of the night (well, first runner-up; home-made cheese took his top spot).  But the biggest complement I got about the beer was an empty bottle to take home.  If a bunch of homebrewers finish off your beer, you musta done something right.  (The Amber Ale I took, our first ever all grain, was not empty.  Not even close.)

So, that brings me back to my critiques... am I too hard on myself?  Do I look for flaws first and positives second?  Should I just stop worrying about it and drink my homebrew?  Well, yes and no.

I want to get better at brewing.  I want to be able to make really good beer.  I want to confidently give my beer to friends and say, "Try this.  You'll like it."  And the only way to get better is to be critical of the beer I make.  At the moment, this critiquing of myself isn't discouraging; it is actually encouraging.  For the most part, I know what I can do better.  I just need to learn by brewing and apply what I have learned in each brew session going forward.

And then, sometimes, relax.  Don't worry.  Have a homebrew.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Research: Part 3

The final post I want to make in the research category is one about the traditional, brick & mortar, local homebrew store.  If you are lucky enough to have a store nearby, this is a great place to visit.  (You can find a nearby store by visiting the Homebrewers Association directory .) In this modern world, full of instant information, huge selection, and Amazon.com pricing, why visit an actual store ?  Several reasons. First, the people.  These people are passionate about brewing and passionate about helping you brew.  They are a great resource for practical questions on ingredients and, in this specific case, equipment.  They probably have used most of what is in their store and can speak to it first hand.  You get much better service than online retailers (which usually provide no customer service  unless something doesn't work the way it should) because there are actual people with whom to talk and ask questions. Hops/Yeast Fridge When Eric and I first made our fo

Fall Beers

So, what is up with all the fall/autumn/pumpkin/fest beers being out already?  It's the middle of August.  It is hot still.  I, personally, don't really want to see those in the shelf til after Labor Day.  Autumn doesn't even start until September 21.  Maybe you've had similar thoughts. I liken it to being able to buy a 2013 car now.  It is like we are living in the future!  But facetiousness aside, if you are releasing a pumpkin beer or a harvest ale on August 1, that means you were brewing it in June.  Where do you buy pumpkin in June?  Surely you aren't getting the freshest pumpkins around...  Expired canned pumpkin anyone?  If you are releasing a fest beer, at least there aren't any special, seasonal ingredients.  But it takes longer to make.  When were you brewing that one?  May?  April?  Earlier? I understand trying to get your product out first so people see it, remember it, and buy it.  But give us a little bit of a break and at least wait until

Equipment Progression

I am an all-grain, fermentation-controlled, kegging homebrewer (with other bells and whistles thrown in there, too).  But I didn't start out that way.  I was thinking about my progression as a homebrewer and wondering if I would change anything about my journey (hindsight is 20/20).  So, I made a list of my progression.  The list below doesn't contain every gadget or step, and some steps include multiple purchases/equipment, but it hits key milestones.  Here is a brief overview of how I have progressed so far as a homebrewer: Extract on the stove top Wort chiller Turkey fryer/Burner for outdoor use Kegerator Pump Fermentation control Yeast starters All-grain (all the equipment at once) Plate Chiller Oxygenation system So, what would I change?  How would I choose to progress now that I am more advanced?  Or, I guess a pertinent question also is, where did I get the most bang for my buck?  What was most worth the money?  Below is my list answering those questions.