Skip to main content

Barrel Aged Russian Imperial Stout

As our homebrew club did about a year ago, we again decided to age a beer in a bourbon barrel.  The Belgian Dubbel turned out nicely last time and this year we are upping our game and going for a Russian Imperial Stout.  (Here is the brew sheet for the RIS.)

To be honest, there isn't a whole lot of stuff for me to talk about... 11 of us brewed 5 gallons of the beer and brought it to our local meeting place, Canal Street, and all siphoned our individual beers into the one barrel.  We'll let it sit for a couple to a few months and transfer back out into our individual kegs/carboys.  

I have an idea on a few questions you may be asking, so let me take a stab at what may be on your mind.

How did you get a barrel?
One of the main guys in starting the club, Colin Presby, works for Weyerbacher Brewing.  They use Maker's Mark barrels for some of their brews.  Last year, he got one of their barrels after it was used.  This year, he got one that was left unused.  Straight bourbon barrel, baby!  It will give off a lot more bourbon and barrel flavor in less time.

What did you do to prepare it before you put your beer in?
The barrel was pretty new still, so Colin didn't do much.  He added a little bit of the RIS to keep the barrel wet, but other than that, nothing.

What if someone's beer was bad?
We wouldn't have put it in.  We tasted everyone's beer before it went into the barrel.  Even though it was all the the same recipe, the beers tasted different.  Some were stronger up front, some had lingering flavors, some still had some attenuation yet to go.

How do you know it is finished?
We will taste it!  We are going to pull out a sample each month at the brew club meetings to taste the changes.  When we think it is ready, we'll pull it.  Expected aging time is two to three months because the barrel hasn't been used for beer before.

What are you going to do with it?
Besides drink it, you mean?  I plan on bottling my 5 gallons worth, even though I typically keg.  This is a beer I will want to save for a while and share with family and friends.  I plan on bottling in 22 ouncers and coating the caps with wax.  I am sure the wax coating will be a post in the future...

Lots of Russian Imperial Stout getting ready to age.

Our barrel.  The one in the back is an old, dried out barrel that is used as a table.

Colin explaining... something.

Some of the brewers.

Transferring from keg to barrel.

The finished product.  

So, if you get a chance, head by Canal Street Pub in Reading, PA to take a peek.

Cheers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Research: Part 3

The final post I want to make in the research category is one about the traditional, brick & mortar, local homebrew store.  If you are lucky enough to have a store nearby, this is a great place to visit.  (You can find a nearby store by visiting the Homebrewers Association directory .) In this modern world, full of instant information, huge selection, and Amazon.com pricing, why visit an actual store ?  Several reasons. First, the people.  These people are passionate about brewing and passionate about helping you brew.  They are a great resource for practical questions on ingredients and, in this specific case, equipment.  They probably have used most of what is in their store and can speak to it first hand.  You get much better service than online retailers (which usually provide no customer service  unless something doesn't work the way it should) because there are actual people with whom to talk and ask questions. Hops/Yeast Fridge When Eric and I first made our fo

Fall Beers

So, what is up with all the fall/autumn/pumpkin/fest beers being out already?  It's the middle of August.  It is hot still.  I, personally, don't really want to see those in the shelf til after Labor Day.  Autumn doesn't even start until September 21.  Maybe you've had similar thoughts. I liken it to being able to buy a 2013 car now.  It is like we are living in the future!  But facetiousness aside, if you are releasing a pumpkin beer or a harvest ale on August 1, that means you were brewing it in June.  Where do you buy pumpkin in June?  Surely you aren't getting the freshest pumpkins around...  Expired canned pumpkin anyone?  If you are releasing a fest beer, at least there aren't any special, seasonal ingredients.  But it takes longer to make.  When were you brewing that one?  May?  April?  Earlier? I understand trying to get your product out first so people see it, remember it, and buy it.  But give us a little bit of a break and at least wait until

Equipment Progression

I am an all-grain, fermentation-controlled, kegging homebrewer (with other bells and whistles thrown in there, too).  But I didn't start out that way.  I was thinking about my progression as a homebrewer and wondering if I would change anything about my journey (hindsight is 20/20).  So, I made a list of my progression.  The list below doesn't contain every gadget or step, and some steps include multiple purchases/equipment, but it hits key milestones.  Here is a brief overview of how I have progressed so far as a homebrewer: Extract on the stove top Wort chiller Turkey fryer/Burner for outdoor use Kegerator Pump Fermentation control Yeast starters All-grain (all the equipment at once) Plate Chiller Oxygenation system So, what would I change?  How would I choose to progress now that I am more advanced?  Or, I guess a pertinent question also is, where did I get the most bang for my buck?  What was most worth the money?  Below is my list answering those questions.