Skip to main content

Solo Brewing

Not what I mean when I say, "solo."
My first South Carolina brew session is behind me.

As I mentioned in my previous post, it was a solo brew.  This whole "brew by yourself" is a new thing for me.  While a typical brew day involves conversations over mash tuns and pints of beer over boil kettles, this one was a little different.  Ok, very different.  It was all up to me.  From hitting mash temps to sanitizing a plate chiller, it was all mine to do.

"What's the big deal?" you may be asking.  "People do this solo brew
thing all the time."

Well, yeah, people do brew solo all the time.  But I think having a brew partner is a favorable thing - and it's something I am quite accustomed to.

Sharing stories and beers is one of the best things about brewing with someone else.  But division of labor ain't bad either: one can monitor the boil-overs while another cleans the mash tun.  I knew that I wasn't going to have the luxury of splitting the duties on this particular brew day.

Nor is this...
So, here are a few things that I learned on my all-grain solo brew day.
  1. Know the process.  And I am not just talking about water, grain, sparge, boil, cool, pitch.  I mean, know what needs to be done and when.  What do you no longer need so you can go ahead and clean it and put it away?  Once the boil starts, you don't need the mash tun; clean it.  Having brewed on my current setup many times with a friend helped me tremendously when starting out by myself.  If you're new to brewing, prepare for some long-ish days until you get in a good rhythm.  If you can, recruit someone else who is interested or, preferably, more experienced.  The partner aspect will help you out until you get comfortable.
  2. Planning is essential - unless you want to be cleaning all day.  Part of planning is knowing the process (see above), but having a game plan for what can happen now or 15 minutes from now can make things run more smoothly.  Know what you have to pay attention to and when in the brew process and plan your cleaning and sanitizing around that.  If you plan right, cleanup gets segregated and seems way less burdensome.
  3. Beer is not your replacement friend.  It's tempting to drink a lot while you brew.  You're out there for hours, often thirsty, and beer is on the forefront your mind.  But, let me tell you, drinking doesn't do any favors at the end of a brew day.  Motivation is sapped.  Thought processes are slowed.  There are hot liquids and glass containers and the most important part of brewing happens at the end:  yeast!  Screwing up that part can ruin a whole day's effort.  I didn't drink a beer until the kettles were away and carboys were in the fridge.  I probably could've loosened up toward the end of the boil and had a lovely, refreshing, delicious beer.  It just ended up that I was too busy to drink.

    Or this.
So, there are a few things to think about.  I'm sure these are painfully obvious to some of you - and they even apply if you brew with a partner.  I may catch flack about #3 above, as many people brew because it is an excuse to drink beer at 9:00 a.m., but I stand by my list.  If you want a safe, efficient brew day, keep the brewskis to a minimum.

If you are a solo brewer, anything you would add to the list?  Partner brewers, what would you miss most if you had to brew alone?

Until next time, brewers.

Cheers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Research: Part 3

The final post I want to make in the research category is one about the traditional, brick & mortar, local homebrew store.  If you are lucky enough to have a store nearby, this is a great place to visit.  (You can find a nearby store by visiting the Homebrewers Association directory .) In this modern world, full of instant information, huge selection, and Amazon.com pricing, why visit an actual store ?  Several reasons. First, the people.  These people are passionate about brewing and passionate about helping you brew.  They are a great resource for practical questions on ingredients and, in this specific case, equipment.  They probably have used most of what is in their store and can speak to it first hand.  You get much better service than online retailers (which usually provide no customer service  unless something doesn't work the way it should) because there are actual people with whom to talk and ask questions. Hops/Yeast Fridge When Eric and I first made our fo

Fall Beers

So, what is up with all the fall/autumn/pumpkin/fest beers being out already?  It's the middle of August.  It is hot still.  I, personally, don't really want to see those in the shelf til after Labor Day.  Autumn doesn't even start until September 21.  Maybe you've had similar thoughts. I liken it to being able to buy a 2013 car now.  It is like we are living in the future!  But facetiousness aside, if you are releasing a pumpkin beer or a harvest ale on August 1, that means you were brewing it in June.  Where do you buy pumpkin in June?  Surely you aren't getting the freshest pumpkins around...  Expired canned pumpkin anyone?  If you are releasing a fest beer, at least there aren't any special, seasonal ingredients.  But it takes longer to make.  When were you brewing that one?  May?  April?  Earlier? I understand trying to get your product out first so people see it, remember it, and buy it.  But give us a little bit of a break and at least wait until

Equipment Progression

I am an all-grain, fermentation-controlled, kegging homebrewer (with other bells and whistles thrown in there, too).  But I didn't start out that way.  I was thinking about my progression as a homebrewer and wondering if I would change anything about my journey (hindsight is 20/20).  So, I made a list of my progression.  The list below doesn't contain every gadget or step, and some steps include multiple purchases/equipment, but it hits key milestones.  Here is a brief overview of how I have progressed so far as a homebrewer: Extract on the stove top Wort chiller Turkey fryer/Burner for outdoor use Kegerator Pump Fermentation control Yeast starters All-grain (all the equipment at once) Plate Chiller Oxygenation system So, what would I change?  How would I choose to progress now that I am more advanced?  Or, I guess a pertinent question also is, where did I get the most bang for my buck?  What was most worth the money?  Below is my list answering those questions.