Skip to main content

German Wheat Review

Several weeks back, I brewed up a German Wheat beer.  Well done wheats are one of my favorite sipping beers, and I felt this style would be perfect for summertime.

Because I brew 10 gallons (a lot of one style of beer), I decided to split the batch by making two different beers off of one base.  Down the road, this will provide many options in terms of extra ingredients, varying dry hops, or even yeast options.  For this batch and for the next few I have planned out, I am going to keep one carboy true to the Reinheitsgebot, the German purity law, while the other I will "Americanize" by adding extra something to it.

For the German Wheat, I kept one strict to the Reinheitsgebot with only water, grain, hops, and yeast.  The other, which I cleverly named German Wheat X, I dry hopped with one ounce each of orange and lemon zest as well as about 2/3s an ounce of Hallertau hops.

Process
As far as process, I simply used a single infusion mash at 152F.  There is always conversation about decoction mashing when it comes to German Wheat beers, but, through reading up on it and weighing my options, I decided it wasn't worth trying at this point in time.  Down the road, I would love to try a decoction mash to taste any difference.  For now, I went straight simple.

It was a standard wheat recipe (50% red wheat, 50% pilsner malt), with some Hallertau hops at 60 minutes.  I used WLP300 for both batches, grown up in a starter.  Fermentation was at 62F for 14 days.  In the German Wheat X, I added the zest and hops after 6 days of fermentation.

Review - German Wheat
Aroma - Very pleasant aroma.  More clove than banana, which I like. There is a bit of a sweet spice to the nose.
Appearance - Beautiful color.  It is a deep orange, surely from the red wheat.  Head is bright white, but doesn't last as long as I would like.  Minimal lacing on the glass.  Slightly hazy, as an unfiltered wheat should be.
Taste - Very pleasant flavor.  No off-flavors detected.  An ever-so-slight sharpness on the tip of the tongue, but it is not unpleasant.  Could have a touch more bitterness.  Most of the flavor fills the roof of the mouth and tip of the tongue.  The bitterness would help balance that out.  Very passable as a wheat; it is a beer I would proudly serve anyone.
Mouthfeel - Full body, full flavor.  Carbonation is a little lacking (time to bump up the CO2 on the kegerator).
Overall Impression - I am quite pleased with how this turned out.  Even though I am not comparing it side by side to any commercial beer, I would pick this one over many commercial wheat beers I've had recently. (It seems they are all trying to get "cute" these days.)

Review - German Wheat X
Aroma - Lemon.  Citrus.  It slaps you in the face.  It is strong - almost cleaning supply strong.  Too much.
Appearance - Looks the same as above.  Slightly less hazy, but not out of style.
Taste - Lots of lemon.  There is definitely too much citrus zest in this beer.  It overpowers any other flavor the beer has.  It still has that "wheat" taste (mostly from the yeast), but I'm a bit disappointed.
Mouthfeel - Carbonation on this one is lacking, too.  Again, lemon dominates all aspects of this beer.
Overall Impression - Unfortunately, I added too much zest.  I thought I would be in the "safe" range with 1 ounce of fresh lemon zest, but I guess not.  Maybe next time I'll try just orange zest or half the total amount.  I got zero dry hop aroma.  This beer is ok and I would give some to my friends, but I would have a conversation about it first.

Well, there you go.  If you have any questions about my process or the German Wheat I brewed, just drop a comment below.  Overall, I am happy with the brew.  For my first brew in SC, not too shabby.

Cheers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Research: Part 3

The final post I want to make in the research category is one about the traditional, brick & mortar, local homebrew store.  If you are lucky enough to have a store nearby, this is a great place to visit.  (You can find a nearby store by visiting the Homebrewers Association directory .) In this modern world, full of instant information, huge selection, and Amazon.com pricing, why visit an actual store ?  Several reasons. First, the people.  These people are passionate about brewing and passionate about helping you brew.  They are a great resource for practical questions on ingredients and, in this specific case, equipment.  They probably have used most of what is in their store and can speak to it first hand.  You get much better service than online retailers (which usually provide no customer service  unless something doesn't work the way it should) because there are actual people with whom to talk and ask questions. Hops/Yeast Fridge When Eric and I first made our fo

Fall Beers

So, what is up with all the fall/autumn/pumpkin/fest beers being out already?  It's the middle of August.  It is hot still.  I, personally, don't really want to see those in the shelf til after Labor Day.  Autumn doesn't even start until September 21.  Maybe you've had similar thoughts. I liken it to being able to buy a 2013 car now.  It is like we are living in the future!  But facetiousness aside, if you are releasing a pumpkin beer or a harvest ale on August 1, that means you were brewing it in June.  Where do you buy pumpkin in June?  Surely you aren't getting the freshest pumpkins around...  Expired canned pumpkin anyone?  If you are releasing a fest beer, at least there aren't any special, seasonal ingredients.  But it takes longer to make.  When were you brewing that one?  May?  April?  Earlier? I understand trying to get your product out first so people see it, remember it, and buy it.  But give us a little bit of a break and at least wait until

Equipment Progression

I am an all-grain, fermentation-controlled, kegging homebrewer (with other bells and whistles thrown in there, too).  But I didn't start out that way.  I was thinking about my progression as a homebrewer and wondering if I would change anything about my journey (hindsight is 20/20).  So, I made a list of my progression.  The list below doesn't contain every gadget or step, and some steps include multiple purchases/equipment, but it hits key milestones.  Here is a brief overview of how I have progressed so far as a homebrewer: Extract on the stove top Wort chiller Turkey fryer/Burner for outdoor use Kegerator Pump Fermentation control Yeast starters All-grain (all the equipment at once) Plate Chiller Oxygenation system So, what would I change?  How would I choose to progress now that I am more advanced?  Or, I guess a pertinent question also is, where did I get the most bang for my buck?  What was most worth the money?  Below is my list answering those questions.