Skip to main content

All Grain Equipment

Part of transitioning from extract brewing to all-grain brewing is gaining (read: buying) more equipment.  It is easy to do if you have lots of cash money to throw around, but if you are like me, you tend not to be so extravagant with your spending (no comments from the wife, please).  Eric and I are piecing together our all-grain brew equipment one tank and burner at a time.  Because of this, I have had lots of time to think about what we need.  I thought I would review what I (currently) see as important to have in the three main brewing vessels.

Hot Liquor Tank - The HLT is used for holding hot water for mashing (that's a brewer's word; common parlance would be "soaking" or "steeping") the grains and then for sparging (another brewing term; it's really just rinsing the grains of sugars that are left behind).
  • Ideally, HLTs should hold as much liquid as your mash tun, but a little less is ok.  Grains do take up some volume in your mash tun, so it is feasible not to use all of your stored hot water.  
  • A thermometer is key.  You can install a nice, big thermometer into the side of the kettle or you can just use a standard one which clips to the side.  
  • A ball valve makes things so much easier.  Some people place the HLT higher than the mash tun so gravity can do its thing; others use a pump.  Either way, having a ball valve takes the pressure off your back and makes things much safer.  
Mash Tun - The mash tun is used for holding and/or insulating your grains while they steep in the hot water from your HLT.  
  • A mash tun should be well insulated or be able to be heated - maybe even both.  Temperature is important to mashing.  To be simple about it, the mash tun is where the sugars in the grains are pulled out and regular water becomes wort.  Different temperatures will pull out different types of sugars, some of which will completely ferment away (lower temps) and some of which will stay (higher temps).  
  • A false bottom gives you access to your liquid wort without any grains.  A false bottom is an extra "floor" for your mash tun except it has a bajillion little holes (I may be overestimating it there).  It allows liquid through but keeps grains out and essentially is a big, strong filter.  A false bottom seems like the best of the options to me, even though it is the most expensive.
  • Thermometers tell you the temperature of things.  Temperature is important.  A thermometer is essential to mashing.  It lets you know if you need to turn up the heat or add more hot water - or if you are sitting pretty and can relax a little longer.  Another beer while you wait?
  • A ball valve makes things so much easier.  Sound familiar?  Having a valve makes transferring of hot wort almost effortless.  No real worries about spills or hurting yourself.  
Boil Kettle - The boil kettle is where you will do your boil and hop additions.
  • Size matters.  You should have a pot that is several gallons bigger than the starting volume of your boil - not the size of the batch of beer you are brewing.  You may end with five gallons, but you will probably start with six or seven gallons.  Make sure you have enough space in your pot to hold that plus some.  There needs to be room for foaming.  Boil overs are not your friend.
  • Are sight glasses necessary?  I say not!  Sight glasses are meant for you to tell how much volume is in a brew pot.  It is a clear tube on the outside of a kettle that fills up as the kettle fills up.  You mark it at each gallon level so you know how much is in the pot.  I can do that with a stick.  And I do do that with a stick.  I have a yard stick that I have measured and when I need to know how much liquid is in my pot, I stick it in.  And I don't have to worry about it breaking.
  • Are thermometers necessary?  I say not!  I am trying to boil something, not maintain a temperature.  I am pretty sure my wort will boil at around 212 degrees F.  Cooling is another matter.  Just use the instant read thermometers.  No need to install one in the boil kettle.
  • And last (say it with me), a ball valve!  It does make everything easier.  I never knew until I had one.  Do it.  Install it.  Just do it.  You'll thank me later.  
So, there are some of my thoughts on all-grain brewing equipment from an almost all-grain brewer.  Maybe I'll revisit this in six months and let you know if my opinions have changed at all.  

Cheers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pumpkin Beer Review & Recipe

Life has a way of filling up pretty quickly.  But, no excuses.  I haven't been as diligent as I want with this blog.  Now that Thanksgiving is over, maybe I can get back in the swing of things. For this post, I am going to review our pumpkin beer, Fairytale Debacle . Appearance The beer looks great.  It is one of the clearest beers I have brewed with an amber color, almost with an orange tint.  The head is nice and fluffy.  Very respectable pint of beer, if I do say so myself. Aroma I get some spice flavors coming through the nose, though, not a whole lot.  Has a good malt presence, too.  Nothing to overpowering, but pleasant. Flavor Good beer, easy drinking.  I get a bit of pumpkin flavor with some spice, but not a whole lot going on.  The spice flavors are more subtle and in the background.  Also, I think there is too much nutmeg or ginger which gives it a bit of a sharp aftertaste, but that is not unpleasant and mellows as I drink the pint. Mouthfeel Good and easy

H.3512 / #scbeerjobs / the Stone Bill

Few things get me as excited as beer.  So, when I heard that Stone Brewing Company was planning to open an east coast brewery (#StoneEast), I got a little excited (being an east-coaster and all).  I got more excited when I read that Myrtle Beach, my current place of residence, was vying for Stone to open up here.  " Pipe dreams, " I thought.  Though, now it was in my brain.  I sooo wanted it to happen. Then I read this article on beerofsc.com  which made me give my hopes up entirely.  Apparently, SC law doesn't even allow for what Stone would want to do: a production brewery with a restaurant.   Nail in the coffin.  I still had hopes Stone would open up somewhere close, like in NC so I could at least visit. But then, some even-keel, open-minded politicians decided SC should change its laws!  By golly!  The result was H.3512 (ok, really, the 'Stone Bill' is an amendment to H.3512, but whatever. You get the point).  For a full rundown of what the "Stone Bi