Skip to main content

Yeast Experiment: Episode 1

A lot of things go into making a good beer.  There is the obvious - the malt and the hops; there is the process and procedure - how long did you mash/boil/hop, etc.; there is the cleanliness and sanitation - no funky bugs in the beer.  All of these can be tweaked one way or another and changing just one thing will give a different tasting beer than before.

Working on recipes, one often wants to improve or change a little piece to see what happens.  And one of the difficulties is having to brew an entirely new batch of beer to change one hop addition or to mash four degrees higher.  But, there is one ingredient that can be used several times from one batch of wort.  And that ingredient, is yeast.

Yeast, arguably, is the most important ingredient in beer.  Without yeast, one does not have beer at all.  And, to be honest, it isn't really an "ingredient" at all, but rather a living organism that takes your sugar-sludge and turn it into delicious beer.  And each yeast gives off different esters and flavors; each one eats a certain amount of sugar; each one produces a certain amount of alcohol.  The yeast has tremendous influence over the final product.

This is where we get into the yeast experiment!   I brewed up a six gallon pot of American pale ale and divided it into three separate fermentation vessels as opposed to just the one.  The outcome, hopefully, will be three different beers with three different alcohol levels and three different flavor subtleties.



So, for the fermentation, carboys are a nice option, but I was making three two-gallon batches of beer and my carboys are all five to six gallons; I wasn't sure what the extra head space and air would do.  I instead went to the local grocery store and purchased three 2.5 gallon jugs of water.  They are food grade plastic (obviously, since water was in them) and when the spout is ripped off, the hole is a perfect fit for an airlock.  I wouldn't want to age a beer in these plastic jugs, but since this beer will only ferment for a week or so, I figured I would be ok.

Once two gallons of wort were in each fermenter, I pitched one of three yeasts.  I went with White Labs 051, Wyeast 1968, and Wyeast 1450.  I labeled the fermenters (brilliant idea!) and threw them in my fermentation fridge for temperature control.

I'll have another post in the future grading and commenting on how the beers taste and note whether my yeast experiment was a success.

Cheers.

PS - I have to note that I had this post all ready to go and it was fabulous.  Stellar.  Literally the best post in the history of blogging.  Literally.  But then, for some reason, when I opened it up last night, the page was blank.  So, you are the unlucky one because you had to read this instead of that other marvelous piece of beer blogging.

Comments

  1. I'm sorry it has been so long since I've commented; the work load tends to increase a bit at this time of year, as you know.

    This is a pretty cool experiment you've set up. Next time you should do it with 8, 16, 32, or (this would be amazing) 64 different yeasts, and a bracket could be done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck finishing up everything.

    I don't think I will be trying too many yeasts at one time... at 7 bucks a pop, 64 yeasts would be nearly $450. Unless you are interested in contributing to the brew fund...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Research: Part 3

The final post I want to make in the research category is one about the traditional, brick & mortar, local homebrew store.  If you are lucky enough to have a store nearby, this is a great place to visit.  (You can find a nearby store by visiting the Homebrewers Association directory .) In this modern world, full of instant information, huge selection, and Amazon.com pricing, why visit an actual store ?  Several reasons. First, the people.  These people are passionate about brewing and passionate about helping you brew.  They are a great resource for practical questions on ingredients and, in this specific case, equipment.  They probably have used most of what is in their store and can speak to it first hand.  You get much better service than online retailers (which usually provide no customer service  unless something doesn't work the way it should) because there are actual people with whom to talk and ask questions. Hops/Yeast Fridge When Eric and I first made our fo

Fall Beers

So, what is up with all the fall/autumn/pumpkin/fest beers being out already?  It's the middle of August.  It is hot still.  I, personally, don't really want to see those in the shelf til after Labor Day.  Autumn doesn't even start until September 21.  Maybe you've had similar thoughts. I liken it to being able to buy a 2013 car now.  It is like we are living in the future!  But facetiousness aside, if you are releasing a pumpkin beer or a harvest ale on August 1, that means you were brewing it in June.  Where do you buy pumpkin in June?  Surely you aren't getting the freshest pumpkins around...  Expired canned pumpkin anyone?  If you are releasing a fest beer, at least there aren't any special, seasonal ingredients.  But it takes longer to make.  When were you brewing that one?  May?  April?  Earlier? I understand trying to get your product out first so people see it, remember it, and buy it.  But give us a little bit of a break and at least wait until

Equipment Progression

I am an all-grain, fermentation-controlled, kegging homebrewer (with other bells and whistles thrown in there, too).  But I didn't start out that way.  I was thinking about my progression as a homebrewer and wondering if I would change anything about my journey (hindsight is 20/20).  So, I made a list of my progression.  The list below doesn't contain every gadget or step, and some steps include multiple purchases/equipment, but it hits key milestones.  Here is a brief overview of how I have progressed so far as a homebrewer: Extract on the stove top Wort chiller Turkey fryer/Burner for outdoor use Kegerator Pump Fermentation control Yeast starters All-grain (all the equipment at once) Plate Chiller Oxygenation system So, what would I change?  How would I choose to progress now that I am more advanced?  Or, I guess a pertinent question also is, where did I get the most bang for my buck?  What was most worth the money?  Below is my list answering those questions.