Skip to main content

Yeast Experiment: Episode II

For those who may be behind in blog reading, a while ago I decided to do a little yeast experiment.  I brewed one batch of beer, divided it into three fermenters, and added different yeast to each.  You can read more about the exploits in my previous post - Yeast Experiment: Episode I.

I decided to brew a pale ale, since that is a recipe I would like to have as a staple.  Everyone should be able to brew a nice pale ale, right?  This project would give me a good head start on what yeast to use in that staple recipe.  I played around with malts and hops for a while, settling on a recipe heavy in late hop additions.  But I wanted a little more flair in my beer so I added a pound of orange blossom honey at knockout.  For the three yeasts, I used Wyeast 1968, Wyeast 1450, and White Labs 051.

I fermented and bottled, and this past week I took three bottles of my yeast experiment over to some friend's house (shout out to Kate and Dave!) to get their opinions.  Keep in mind that this is the same batch of beer.  The only difference is the yeast used.  I was surprised at how different the flavors were.  Using my Drinking Beer Objectively post, here are our results.

Pale Ale 1968
Aroma:  There was a sweet aroma to this one.  I couldn't quite name it, but it was a pleasant sweetness.
Appearance:  Hazy, dark orange.
Mouthfeel:  Overall, a nice mouthfeel.  It didn't hit too much in any one part of the mouth.  Felt pretty balanced.
Taste:  There wasn't any fruitiness as compared to the others.  It was pleasant and fairly simple.
Overall Impression:  This was my favorite of the three.  It kept some of the orange blossom honey from coming out, which was good, but still had a pleasant flavor.

Pale Ale 1450
Aroma:  Tons of orange and citrus aroma.  This was mixed with caramel sweetness.  The citrus to me was a little overpowering and off-putting.
Appearance:  Hazy, dark orange.
Mouthfeel:  The overall mouthfeel was ok.  It seemed to fill the mouth the most - could be tied to the aroma being so strong, too.  Dave mentioned it hit him in the top of the mouth.  He also said, "that's supposed to mean something, but I can't remember what."  So, if anyone knows what that means, let Dave know.
Taste:  The taste was strong with grapefruit and other citrus fruits.  The orange blossom honey really dominated the flavor with this yeast.
Overall Impression:  This was my least favorite of the three beers.  The honey was just too strong for me.

Pale Ale 051
Aroma:  A very neutral aroma.  Clean.
Appearance:  Hazy, dark orange.  (If you didn't notice, they all were hazy and dark orange.)
Mouthfeel:  This was very middle of the road.  It was simple, not too much, not too little.  Definitely not flat or astringent.  Pleasant.
Taste:  More fruitiness.  Kate tasted lemon and apricot.  I tasted orange blossoms.  The flavors were less pronounced than in 1450, but were still a little too fruity for me, especially for a pale ale.
Overall Impression:  This beer cleaned up a lot.  It was the third one we tried, so maybe there was some pallet fatigue in there.  But nothing stood out positively or negatively on this one... well, aside from the orange blossom honey.

So, what did I learn?

  1. Use less orange blossom honey.  I think it overpowered every other flavor there was.  Maybe next time, just regular honey or no honey at all.
  2. As for the yeasts (since that is what this was supposed to be about, anyways), they add a lot of different character to a beer.  
  3. The three yeasts probably aren't clean and crisp enough for a good pale ale.  I ought to have picked a more "clean" tasting yeast as a control - like Wyeast 1056 or White Labs 001.
  4. I don't like bottling very much.  Praise Jesus for kegs.
  5. Yeast experiments are pretty fun.  I do wish my original recipe was simpler, smoother, and cleaner.  Worth trying again down the road sometime.  
Until next time, people.

Cheers.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Research: Part 3

The final post I want to make in the research category is one about the traditional, brick & mortar, local homebrew store.  If you are lucky enough to have a store nearby, this is a great place to visit.  (You can find a nearby store by visiting the Homebrewers Association directory .) In this modern world, full of instant information, huge selection, and Amazon.com pricing, why visit an actual store ?  Several reasons. First, the people.  These people are passionate about brewing and passionate about helping you brew.  They are a great resource for practical questions on ingredients and, in this specific case, equipment.  They probably have used most of what is in their store and can speak to it first hand.  You get much better service than online retailers (which usually provide no customer service  unless something doesn't work the way it should) because there are actual people with whom to talk and ask questions. Hops/Yeast Fridge When Eric and I first made our fo

Fall Beers

So, what is up with all the fall/autumn/pumpkin/fest beers being out already?  It's the middle of August.  It is hot still.  I, personally, don't really want to see those in the shelf til after Labor Day.  Autumn doesn't even start until September 21.  Maybe you've had similar thoughts. I liken it to being able to buy a 2013 car now.  It is like we are living in the future!  But facetiousness aside, if you are releasing a pumpkin beer or a harvest ale on August 1, that means you were brewing it in June.  Where do you buy pumpkin in June?  Surely you aren't getting the freshest pumpkins around...  Expired canned pumpkin anyone?  If you are releasing a fest beer, at least there aren't any special, seasonal ingredients.  But it takes longer to make.  When were you brewing that one?  May?  April?  Earlier? I understand trying to get your product out first so people see it, remember it, and buy it.  But give us a little bit of a break and at least wait until

Equipment Progression

I am an all-grain, fermentation-controlled, kegging homebrewer (with other bells and whistles thrown in there, too).  But I didn't start out that way.  I was thinking about my progression as a homebrewer and wondering if I would change anything about my journey (hindsight is 20/20).  So, I made a list of my progression.  The list below doesn't contain every gadget or step, and some steps include multiple purchases/equipment, but it hits key milestones.  Here is a brief overview of how I have progressed so far as a homebrewer: Extract on the stove top Wort chiller Turkey fryer/Burner for outdoor use Kegerator Pump Fermentation control Yeast starters All-grain (all the equipment at once) Plate Chiller Oxygenation system So, what would I change?  How would I choose to progress now that I am more advanced?  Or, I guess a pertinent question also is, where did I get the most bang for my buck?  What was most worth the money?  Below is my list answering those questions.