Skip to main content

Adding Spices to Your Brew

As I mentioned in a previous post, I didn't think my Pumpkin Ale had enough spice character to it.  The general process for adding spices, which we followed, is to add them with 5 to 0 minutes left in the boil.  You can add them earlier or later, but adding them around knockout is the general practice.  Some spices or flavors (like vanilla) can be added to the secondary.

Some whole spices - cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove.
But, I don't really want to make this a "how to" spice post.  I am no expert in the world of spices.  I can just tell you what I did when my beer had too little spice.  I wanted to add more.  But more of what?  And how much more?  Since I keg, dumping in a bottle of ground cinnamon would've been easy, but over-spicing is really, really easy to do and it can ruin a batch of beer.  (Please note, a bottle of ground cinnamon IS too much to add to 5 gallons of beer.)  I wanted a way I could add a little bit of spice to a pint to find the right balance of flavors.

Not the brand I used, but cheap nonetheless.
So, here's what  I did:  I collected several clean jars of all types - baby food, Mason, salsa, but they don't need to be big.  In fact, smaller may be better.  To each one I added a "serving" of spice - cinnamon, all spice, clove, ginger, nutmeg.  "A serving" is relative, but about a tablespoon or so is what I did.  I tried to use whole spices where available and just crush them a little bit before putting them in the jar.  For some, I used McCormick brand ground spices, and I think it worked out ok.  Once I had all the spices in their own little jars, I poured just enough (cheap) vodka over them to cover.  Then, I let them sit.

What I got over the next few days was a spice-filled liquid to add to my beer.  I bought some plastic droppers and would add a little of this and a few drops of that to each pint I poured.  It is amazing what 3 drops of cinnamon could do to a beer.  Then I started mixing and tweaking - vanilla (bought extract from the store.  Shortcut!), cinnamon, all spice... they all brought something to the beer.

While I didn't end up opening the keg and adding spices to the whole batch, I got to play around with different spice mixes and I have a much better idea as to where to start next time I make a pumpkin ale.

Another benefit to this process is scalability.  I know that 4 drops of "Spice A" in a pint is spot on; 8 pints in a gallon; 5 gallons in a batch.  So, 4 x 8 x 5 gives me 160 drops per keg.  My droppers are marked for measurements, so I can figure out how many drops in a mL and figure out how many mL of spice to add to a batch.  I guess the tough part will be figuring out how a number such as '24 mL' equates to dry spices.  But it should at least give me a starting point and a ratio to the other spices I'm adding.  Or, I could brew the beer and only add spices at kegging.

After a while, I took some coffee filters and filtered all the crushed spices out of the vodka, leaving me with pure spice liquid.  I hope to save it and use it in another beer sometime soon.  Or, maybe I brew well enough that I won't need to add any more spice to my beer.

But that day isn't here... yet.

Cheers.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pumpkin Beer Review & Recipe

Life has a way of filling up pretty quickly.  But, no excuses.  I haven't been as diligent as I want with this blog.  Now that Thanksgiving is over, maybe I can get back in the swing of things. For this post, I am going to review our pumpkin beer, Fairytale Debacle . Appearance The beer looks great.  It is one of the clearest beers I have brewed with an amber color, almost with an orange tint.  The head is nice and fluffy.  Very respectable pint of beer, if I do say so myself. Aroma I get some spice flavors coming through the nose, though, not a whole lot.  Has a good malt presence, too.  Nothing to overpowering, but pleasant. Flavor Good beer, easy drinking.  I get a bit of pumpkin flavor with some spice, but not a whole lot going on.  The spice flavors are more subtle and in the background.  Also, I think there is too much nutmeg or ginger which gives it a bit of a sharp aftertaste, but that is not unpleasant and mellows as I drink the pint. Mouthfeel Good and easy

H.3512 / #scbeerjobs / the Stone Bill

Few things get me as excited as beer.  So, when I heard that Stone Brewing Company was planning to open an east coast brewery (#StoneEast), I got a little excited (being an east-coaster and all).  I got more excited when I read that Myrtle Beach, my current place of residence, was vying for Stone to open up here.  " Pipe dreams, " I thought.  Though, now it was in my brain.  I sooo wanted it to happen. Then I read this article on beerofsc.com  which made me give my hopes up entirely.  Apparently, SC law doesn't even allow for what Stone would want to do: a production brewery with a restaurant.   Nail in the coffin.  I still had hopes Stone would open up somewhere close, like in NC so I could at least visit. But then, some even-keel, open-minded politicians decided SC should change its laws!  By golly!  The result was H.3512 (ok, really, the 'Stone Bill' is an amendment to H.3512, but whatever. You get the point).  For a full rundown of what the "Stone Bi

All Grain Equipment

Part of transitioning from extract brewing to all-grain brewing is gaining (read: buying ) more equipment.  It is easy to do if you have lots of cash money to throw around, but if you are like me, you tend not to be so extravagant with your spending (no comments from the wife, please).  Eric and I are piecing together our all-grain brew equipment one tank and burner at a time.  Because of this, I have had lots of time to think about what we need.  I thought I would review what I (currently) see as important to have in the three main brewing vessels. Hot Liquor Tank - The HLT is used for holding hot water for mashing (that's a brewer's word; common parlance would be "soaking" or "steeping") the grains and then for sparging (another brewing term; it's really just rinsing the grains of sugars that are left behind). Ideally, HLTs should hold as much liquid as your mash tun, but a little less is ok.  Grains do take up some volume in your mash tun, so it